Monday, June 20, 2011

Cora, a 19th Century Reproduction Rag Doll

This is Cora, a doll that I picture as being the companion of a little girl living on the prairie in the mid-1800s. Cora is an original design and was made without a pattern. She was hand-stitched and is stuffed with natural wool roving, which gives her a nice, weighty feel. Her sweet countenance was hand-embroidered and needle sculpted. Her braids are made of English mohair that

I dyed myself. She wear

s a calico bonnet to keep the sun from burning her fair face. A sunburn would be unsightly! She also wears a green calico dress with long sleeves and a hem that reaches her ankles. Over that, she wears a simple muslin apron and a shawl. Under her dress, she wears pantalettes that she tries very hard to keep neat and clean; however, the dusty prairie makes this a trifle challenging! Her legs are made of blue and white ticking, so she has "stockings" on at all times. Also, unlike most of my other dolls, Cora wears shoes. Cora quite enjoys wearing her little boot-like shoes. She says they make her feel like she's a fancy girl from the town where her little mistress' papa brings the crops to market.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I'm glad she has the prairie feel, considering that I, too, live on the East Coast!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! Than you for joining my blog, that's great because now I found yours! What lovely dolls you've made! I really love the simple, but well-sewn primitive look. I too like to handsew, it brings a certain touch the the dolls. For my next doll I will try your way of using wool roving for filling material.
    Best regards from Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much! Yes, there's nothing quite so relaxing as sitting on the couch with a needle, thread, and some quality fabric! Wool roving is really very versatile. It's great for stuffing doll heads before you paint them, and I'm fairly certain that you can make wigs with it, too
    ~Laura.

    ReplyDelete