Sunday, November 20, 2011

Past Workes: Meet Emily

Meet Emily. She's a sweet girl of the late nineteenth century who has a penchant for berries, sunshine, and bonnets.

Emily was made from a Feedsack Doll Kit. She was my first Gail Wilson project, and she was delightful to make! I think a lot of her charm comes from her detail. Her tiny hands and shoes seem to hearken back to the careful craftsmanship of years past.

She was the first doll that I've ever painted or dyed fabric for. Thanks to the excellent instructions provided in the kit, the process was fairly smooth. This was also the first time I ever made a "real" bonnet! It seems that every other time I made a nineteenth-century bonnet, it was on a primitive doll, since I didn't know how to make an actual bonnet!
She may have her flaws, but I think that comes with handmade things.

2 comments:

  1. She is beautiful! Congratulations on completing your first Gail Wilson kit. Isn't that a wonderful feeling???
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It is a wonderful feeling to finish one of those kits; at first they seem so overwhelming, but if you take it step by step, before you know it, you've made an exquisite doll!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete